D library projects

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 11:30:04 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 10:58 AM, div0 <div0 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> What phobos is really lacking is a bunch of container classes, ala stl.
> I've been pondering swiping/porting the container classes from stlport.
> License looks like the port could be re-licensed as boost.
>
> good idea/bad idea?

STL implementation code is horrifically unreadable.  But potentially
worse is that the design is, I suspect, thoroughly entrenched in
assumptions based on the limitations of C++ templates (contributing to
that unreadablility).  And they're designed around iterators rather
than ranges, which will surely make for some significant differences.
I sure wouldn't try to port STLport or any other flavor of STL to D.

I kinda think the best way to write a container lib for D would just
be to go back to square one: pseudocode in CLR and other algorithms
books.  Certainly not the quickest way, though.

Anyway I thought Steve S. or Dimscha or someone said they were writing
a D2 container lib already. No?

--bb