Go compilation model

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Sat Nov 14 11:47:28 PST 2009

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 13:39:54 -0500, Walter Bright
<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> I'd like to point out that this is also what Pascal/Delphi have been
>> doing for a long while
>
> Also it's the way Java is implemented.
>
>> I assume Go can also read type information from source files, otherwise
>> package circular dependencies would be impossible?
>
> Java will pick up the type info from either the .class file or the .java
> file.

The thing I thought was unique to Go's compiling/linking was the bypassing
of duplicated imports. i.e. If a imported b and c, and b imported c, then
compiling a would only link b, since c was included in b's object. They
claimed exponential-like speed-up doing this. (If memory of the Google
talk serves.)