Back from the dead - How is D going?

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 13:25:53 PST 2009

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:35:24 +0000, Bruno Medeiros wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> After a long hiatus I think I'm now able to come back to the D community
> and  be participating with it again. As a result I have more than 16000
> unread posts in digitalmars.D alone and I'm still wondering whether I
> should try to check all those threads or not... (I will read up on the
> announce NG at least).
> Regardless of whether I do that or not, would anyone be so kind as to
> posting a brief (or longer if willing :P) info of the main issues that
> have come up in the last year or so? How is the Tango vs Phobos
> integration? 1.0 vs 2.0? Concurrency features? Tool stuff, like LDC and
> stuff, how are they going? Thanks in advance. :)
>

> The only thread I've read from that back is the recent one about the Go
> language... that's some pretty big news!
>

> BTW, I've moved to London, are there any other D enthusiasts around
> here? Or in UK in general? From the top of my head, since the last time
> I was around, I don't remember any major poster who was from the UK.

Well there have been a lot of changes with the language and a lot has
changed for the organization of information. Wiki4D received quite an
overhaul, so you'll get to see many links from there.

Don Clugston's been working working on the newly released DMD source code
and smashing compiler crashing bugs (ICE?)

Compilers:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial/StartingWithD/Compiler

Tango vs Phobos: (Tango not available on D2.x yet)
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?StandardLib#Resolution

Annotations, properties and safety are coming to D:
http://www.llucax.com.ar/blog/blog.cgi/post/-6cf9f2f2

Precise heap scanning GC (work of David Simcha):
http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?
art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=99757

"The D Programming Language" book and free chapters:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DevelopmentWithD#Books

Page about the Language development:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel

D Improvement Proposals:
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs

a Complete Unofficial 1.0 specification could use help being completed:
http://www.jfbillingsley.com/dspec/

Another place you should already be aware of:
http://digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html