D library projects : adopting Boost license

Don nospam at nospam.com
Sun Nov 15 07:14:31 PST 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Yigal Chripun wrote:
>> This is very important IMO, probably as important as the license itself.
>> This is exactly why the GNU project rejects contributions even if they
>> are licensed under the GPL unless the the contributer agrees to give
>> ownership of the copyright to the FSF (the legal entity for the GNU
>> project).
>> Almost all open source projects do the same. a notable exception is
>> the linux kernel and I think this influenced the decision to not
>> upgrade to GPL3.
>>
>> Does that mean that all of Phobos is under one legal entity - Digital
>> Mars I presume? If not, than it really should be and you should
>> require the same policy for future contributions.
>> I don't want to see each module licensed under a different person
>> (Andrei, Sean, You, etc..).
>
> I think you make a very good point.

I think the GNU stuff is a bit different, because the GPL is an
aggressive license -- the FSF intends to defend the license, taking
offenders to court. Legal battles are expected, and having a single
legal entity makes it easier to win the case.
By contrast, the Boost license exists solely for the benefit of the
users, giving them a guarantee that court cases will _not_ occur.
I think that throughout Boost all of the authors retain their original
copyright.