D library projects : adopting Boost license

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 19:06:23 PST 2009

Walter Bright, el 15 de noviembre a las 18:27 me escribiste:
> Don wrote:
> >I think the GNU stuff is a bit different, because the GPL is an
> >aggressive license -- the FSF intends to defend the license,
> >taking offenders to court. Legal battles are expected, and having
> >a single legal entity makes it easier to win the case.
> >By contrast, the Boost license exists solely for the benefit of
> >the users, giving them a guarantee that court cases will _not_
> >occur.
> >I think that throughout Boost all of the authors retain their
> >original copyright.
>
> It's true that GPL has an agenda that is not always in its users'
> best interests. The Boost license does.

It's always in its users best interests, except when the users violates
the license :)

The GPL is always protecting the user, giving them the 4 basics rights. It
doesn't protect intermediaries who want to use a free/libre library and
close it up, but it's always in the *end user* best interests.

That might be not be always practical in the corporate/business world (you
can make business with the GPL too, though, there are plenty of examples),
but that's a different issue, and I agree that to have the most wide
acceptance, a language stdlib should use something more liberal, making
the Boost license a good one.