Ansi vs Unicode API

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 06:53:15 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:20 AM, Trass3r <mrmocool at gmx.de> wrote:
> Max Samukha schrieb:
>>
>> You so readily abandon support for Mac OS X 10.5 but keep catering for
>> the convenience of users of the outdated Windows 9x. Don't you see
>> anything wrong with this approach?
>
> OWNED.
> There's no point in supporting Win9x. Win98 support is already dropped by M$
> (maybe even WinME as well already?) and you really can't use ME anymore,
> it's much too error prone.

The OS may not be "supported" in the sense of being able to get
technical support, but you can still build programs that run on Win98
using Visual Studio 2010.

I think the big difference here is that Microsoft takes backwards
compatibility very seriously, Apple, apparently, doesn't.  So I don't
see anything wrong with DMD taking support for older platforms more
seriously on Windows than on Mac.

--bb