static interface

grauzone none at example.net
Mon Nov 16 12:28:29 PST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> grauzone wrote:
>> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>>> Why not? ;)
>>
>> The actual question is if Andrei/Walter are interested at all in this.
>> Because they didn't show any interest so far. D will probably be
>> doomed to compile time bug-typing I mean duck-typing forever.
>
> There's an embarrassment of riches when it comes to finding stuff to
> work on for D2. I think we need to resign ourselves to the idea that we
> need to focus only on one subset of the stream of good ideas that are
> being proposed.

That's understandable of course.

> FWIW I was keen on structs interacting in interesting ways with
> interfaces (and submitted a number of enhancements in that directions)
> but then realized there are a number of problems that structs/interfaces
> cannot solve. I believe that a better path to pursue in checking
> interface conformance is via reflection.

That's a possible solution (and an easy way out to get rid of language
design problems), but I'm sure it's not the best solution. (It also
should be a little bit extended to give the user better error messages.)
I hope cleaner solutions will be considered later, possibly after D2 is
done.

Which are the problems you mentioned?