Ansi vs Unicode API

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Mon Nov 16 13:07:56 PST 2009

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:05:48 -0500, Walter Bright
> <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>>>  For the compiler, yes.  For library code, not so much.  If you want
>>> to use newer features of the MS libraries, you must abandon support
>>> older Windows.
>>
>> True, but that's an app issue, not a dev tools issue.
>
> If Phobos depends on functionality not supported in Windows 98, then dmd
> is pretty useless on win98 unless you provide a compatible standard
> library.  Most normal users consider the standard library to be an
> essential part of the compiler.

Phobos doesn't currently have any compatibility problems with Win95. If
a new feature of Phobos did have such an issue, I would expect to
document it for that feature.

> I was just
> arguing your point about how Windows always provides backwards
> compatibility.

Backward compatibility doesn't mean that the old systems have to support
new features. It just means that the old features continue to work on
the new systems. I have a lot of software built for Win95 that still
works fine <g>. Even the DOS programs still work.