Ansi vs Unicode API

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 16 13:16:37 PST 2009

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:07:56 -0500, Walter Bright
<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Backward compatibility doesn't mean that the old systems have to support
> new features. It just means that the old features continue to work on
> the new systems. I have a lot of software built for Win95 that still
> works fine <g>. Even the DOS programs still work.

Your argument was about building programs on MacOS 10.5 that crash on
10.4.  That's like building programs on Windows XP and expecting them to
run flawlessly on Windows 98.

Although, I will say, having a Hello World executable throw a bus error is
a little over the top in breaking backwards compatibility :)

-Steve