static interface

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 13:22:41 PST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu, el 16 de noviembre a las 12:19 me escribiste:
> grauzone wrote:
> >Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >>Why not? ;)
> >
> >The actual question is if Andrei/Walter are interested at all in
> >this. Because they didn't show any interest so far. D will
> >probably be doomed to compile time bug-typing I mean duck-typing
> >forever.
>
> There's an embarrassment of riches when it comes to finding stuff to
> work on for D2. I think we need to resign ourselves to the idea that
> we need to focus only on one subset of the stream of good ideas that
> are being proposed.

I completely agree and understand. I wish I had the time to make patches
myself for the things I propose. But it's very different if something is
not implemented because it sucks or just because the lack of men power :)

If some good feature has Walter's blessing, maybe other person can
implement it. Nobody wants to implement something if it doesn't have
Walter's blessing, because we all know he's very tough to convince, and
nobody wants to work on something it won't get accepted.

> FWIW I was keen on structs interacting in interesting ways with
> interfaces (and submitted a number of enhancements in that
> directions) but then realized there are a number of problems that
> structs/interfaces cannot solve. I believe that a better path to
> pursue in checking interface conformance is via reflection.

But that's very laborious, to be honest, I saw some points in std.range
that would be hard to cover with static interfaces, but for those things
you have all the flexibility you're already using. But static interfaces
could cover a wide range of applications, making static duck-typing very
easy to use.