Should the comma operator be removed in D2?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 16 14:12:57 PST 2009

== Quote from Justin Johansson (no at spam.com)'s article
> Mentioned in the switch case statements thread, this probably should be
> a separate discussion thread.
> Is the comma operator "another piece of C cruft" that needs to be
> removed from D(2)?
> grauzone wrote:
>  > Justin Johansson wrote:
>  >> bearophile wrote:
>  >>> What's bad about forcing people to write:
>  >>> case A, B, C:
>  >>>
>  >>> Instead of:
>  >>> case A:
>  >>> case B:
>  >>> case C:
>  >>> ?
>  >>>
>  >>> Bye,
>  >>> bearophile
>  >>
>  >> I don't know about "forcing people" to write such but perhaps it could
>  >> be an "option for people" :-)
>  >>
>  >> Actually I quite like the brevity you propose but would it be a
>  >> challenge for the comma operator?
>  >>
>  >> While ago, I got D multi-dimensional array syntax messed up and
>  >> declared such an animal as
>  >> int[3,4,5] which effectively ended up declaring the beast as int[5].
>  >
>  > The comma operator is another piece of C cruft that needs to go.
>  >
>  >> Cheers Justin

Can someone please explain to me what the comma operator does?  I've seen this
mentioned here before, but I really don't know.  Then again, if the only people
who use it are crufty old C language lawyers and people who have never programmed
seriously in C before don't know about it, I guess that's an indicator that it's
not worth much.