Should the comma operator be removed in D2?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Nov 16 14:35:47 PST 2009

"Justin Johansson" <no at spam.com> wrote in message
news:hdsi9d$ufg$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Mentioned in the switch case statements thread, this probably should be a
> separate discussion thread.
>
> Is the comma operator "another piece of C cruft" that needs to be removed
> from D(2)?

Aside from the for loop (which could be special cased or just simply
rewritten), I've never used, or had reason to use, the comma operator in all
the programming I've ever done in D, C/C++ (which I used to use all the
time), or any other language. I strongly vote "ditch it". There are far
better potential uses for a comma anyway.

Speaking of C cruft, why the hell do we still have C's god-awful octal
syntax? Everyone but Walter's complained about it. And I don't want to hear
"to help port C code", because the whole reason I got started on D in the
first place was to get away from idiotic C designs. Besides, it's not like
"0([0-9]+)" is hard to grep for.