Go: A new system programing language

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Tue Nov 17 07:31:35 PST 2009

Mike Hearn Wrote:

> - Bindings to the core libraries for accessing things like GFS/BigTable and doing RPCs: optional but the utility of any language that can't use them is limited. C++ compatibility would certainly make this easier but SWIG integration would make it even easier still, as we already have SWIG set up for Python. Figuring out an easy way to integrate the garbage collected world with the manually managed world is also a trick. I presume the Python bindings already figured this out but it'd obviously be nice if the bindings could be as thin as possible.

RPC should be a part of messaging support, though possibly not right away.  Socket IO in Phobos kind of stinks right now so that would need an overhaul first.

> Of all those, the last would be the most work. The google "standard library" is a huge collection of robust and well written code - everything from well known stuff like BigTable down to custom threading and malloc libraries. The nice things D brings to the table can't compensate for the loss of that codebase. I haven't tried binding stuff into D, although given that it's got some C/C++ compatibility it's way ahead of Python and Java already.

Sounds like Google may want to use a custom runtime.  It's pretty trivial to replace core.thread from a project perspective, but dropping in a custom thread implementation could take some work--the GC integration is tricky.