Making alloca more safe

Tomas Lindquist Olsen tomas.l.olsen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 08:05:26 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 4:45 PM, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:
> == Quote from Tomas Lindquist Olsen (tomas.l.olsen at gmail.com)'s article
>> I'm not sure if LDC will ever support D2 (at least wont be by my hand)
>
> What is it about D2 that makes this unlikely?  I thought after LDC D1 support was
> stable and the D2 spec and front end were stable, the natural progression of
> things would be for LDC to support D2.

LDC requires a lot of changes to the frontend.

* DMD is not written as a cross compiler
* The runtime interfaces are hardcoded into the frontend semantics
* The ast rewrites dmd does are destructive and buggy
* The dmd codegen is all over the frontend code, it wasn't meant to be
used with another backend

But most of all: someone has to do it.

Keeping the two in sync is a major PITA, the original merge of our
frontend changes, to the D2 frontend was done in a error prone way,
which introduced a lot of bugs, codegen that worked in D1 still
compiles, and generates code that compiles, but the code doesn't run.
This requires time consuming debugging/reviewing and of course fixing.

So most of all, like most of things D, it's about a lack of manpower.
I personally no longer have the time to maintain LDC besides critical
bugfixes now and then, and other devs are in similar situations.

Another factor may be more ideological (or something), not everyone is
happy about how D evolved, and who want to implement something they
don't really care about ?

-Tomas