D array expansion and non-deterministic re-allocation

Bartosz Milewski bartosz-nospam at relisoft.com
Tue Nov 17 16:38:22 PST 2009

Walter Bright Wrote:

> BCS wrote:
> > would you agree that it is not something the programer can predict in
> > advance?
>
> He can, but it is not reasonable to expect him to. But it's still
> deterministic.

I've been following this discussion about determinism and I think it addresses the problem from the wrong point of view, that of a specific implementation.

My concern is the semantics of the language. As it is defined right now, a conforming implementation is free to use a quantum random number generator to decide whether to re-allocate or not. Is it likely? I don't think so; but the non-determinism is part of the semantics of D arrays.