Should we make DMD1.051 the recommended stable version?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Wed Nov 18 01:01:44 PST 2009

The standard download still points to DMD1.030 (May 2008).
A couple of hundred serious bugs have been fixed since that time.
Some of the intermediate releases had regressions which prevented many
people from using them, but I don't think that's true of this one. I
think it's a great release.

The known regressions of DMD1.051 compared to DMD1.030 are:

2393 IFTI regression on (T:char)(T[]) vs (T:dchar)(T[])
370  Compiler stack overflow on recursive typeof in function declaration.
3469 ICE(func.c): Regression. Calling non-template function as a
template, from another module

but in my opinion these are not serious enough to prevent 1.051 from
being recommended. (BTW I've already sent Walter patches for those
second two bugs).

I'd like to protect newbies from encountering internal compiler errors
which have already been fixed, and from experiencing frustration with CTFE.

If anyone has a reason that they have to use 1.030 instead of 1.051, now
would be a great time to say why.