Conspiracy Theory #1

Travis Boucher boucher.travis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 21:37:34 PST 2009

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Travis Boucher Wrote:
>> The fast, highly optimized web code is a very niche market.
>
> I'm not sure it will remain this way for long.  Look at social networking sites, where people spend a great deal of their time in what are essentially user-created apps.  Make them half as efficient and the "cloud" will need twice the resources to run them.

I hope it doesn't remain this way.  Personally I am sick of fixing
broken PHP code, retarded ruby code, and bad SQL queries.  However, the
issue isn't the language as much as it is the coders.

Easy powerful languages = stupid coders who do stupid things.

D is an easy, powerful language, but has one aspect which may protect it
against stupid coders.  Its hard to do stupid things in D.  Its harder
to create a memory leak in D then it is to prevent one in C.

Hell, I've seen ruby do things which personally I thought was a memory
leak at first, to later realize it was just a poor GC implementation.
(this is mats ruby, not jruby or rubinius).

I know stupid coders will always exist, but D promotes good practice
without sacrificing performance.