Conspiracy Theory #1

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Fri Nov 20 01:43:44 PST 2009

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 22:16:07 -0800, Michael Farnsworth wrote:

> I love it when I hear "people don't care about performance anymore,"
> because in my experience that couldn't be further from the truth.  It
> sorta reminds me of the "Apple is dying" argument that crops up every so
> often.  There will probably always be a market for Apple, and there will
> always be a market for performance.

I 100% agree that extreme performance is needed for solving the problems
on your domain. It's just that these kind of companies don't simply exist
in all countries. I would have to move abroad and rather far away to get
my hands on that kind of systems. I'd love to write demanding software,
but on the other hand I like living here and since even simple web
applications pay well, why bother.

Here most local companies fill the niche by providing agile localized
solutions to clients' problems (i.e. usually localized sites built on
drupal, joomla etc. with couple of integrated in-house proprietary
components with less than 5000 LOC). Even the clients want to get systems
for which development requires as little computer science knowledge as
possible to keep the cost low. We usually sell them not only the work
done on the site (the source remains closed when sold this way), but also
the hosting services (bought from some 3rd party located in the US).
Megacorporations like google could easily take over the market, but
instead they focus on globally available services.