Conspiracy Theory #1

Travis Boucher boucher.travis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 08:48:04 PST 2009

Denis Koroskin wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:24:05 +0300, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> == Quote from Travis Boucher (boucher.travis at gmail.com)'s article

>>> Shouldn't
>>> probably
>>> there's a high
>>> isn't
>>> references to

>>> case, false
>>> memory leaks.
>>> But the issue is more of a GC implementation issue then a language
>>> issue, correct?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> Or is this an issue of all lower level language garbage
>>> collectors?
>>
>> Kinda sorta.  It's possible, but not easy, to implement fully precise
>> GC (except
>> for the extreme corner case of unions of reference and non-reference
>> types) in a
>> close to the metal, statically compiled language.
>
> Unions could be deprecated in favor of tagged unions (see an example in
> Cyclone http://cyclone.thelanguage.org/wiki/Tagged%20Unions). Would that
> help?

Probably not since the bit pattern of int i could still match a valid
pointer.

Foo.i = cast(int)&Foo;   // for bad practice ugliness

or Foo.i = (some expression that happens to equal &Foo)

Adding extra information to a union could also have the bad side effect
of killing performance as writes would include an extra write, and
additional memory would be required (which would cause another set of
issues on how to handle alignment).