removal of cruft from D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Nov 20 13:49:52 PST 2009

"Yigal Chripun" <yigal100 at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:he6sqe$1dqu$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Based on recent discussions on the NG a few features were
> deprecated/removed from D, such as typedef and C style struct
> initializers.
>
> IMO this cleanup and polish is important and all successful languages do
> such cleanup for major releases (Python and Ruby come to mind). I'm glad
> to see that D follows in those footsteps instead of accumulating craft
> like C++ does.
>

> As part of this trend of cleaning up D before the release of D2, what
> other features/craft should be removed/deprecated?
>
> I suggest reverse_foreach and c style function pointers
>
> please add your candidates for removal.

s/reverse_foreach/foreach_reverse/ ;)

1. Floating point literals without digits on *both* sides!!! "1.", ".1" -->
Useless hindrance to future language expansion!

2. Octal literals! I think it'd be great to have a new octal syntax, or even
better, a general any-positive-inter-base syntax. But until that finally
happens, I don't want "010 == 8" preserved. And I don't think the ability to
have an octal literal is important enough that lacking it for a while is a
problem. And if porting-from-C really has to be an issue, then just make
0[0-9_]+ an error for a transitionary period (or forever - it'd at least be
better than maintaining "010 == 8").

3. Also the comma operator, but that's already been recently discussed.