Conspiracy Theory #1

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Sat Nov 21 03:37:58 PST 2009

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 09:48:03 +0100, Daniel de Kok wrote:

> On 2009-11-19 22:10:57 +0100, retard <re at tard.com.invalid> said:
>> Even the open source community is using more and more dynamic languages
>> such as Python on the desktop and Web 2.0 (mostly javascript, flash,
>> silverlight, php, python) is a strongly growing platform. I expect most
>> of the every day apps to move to the cloud during the next 10 years.
>
> There are many possible scenarios when it comes to cloud computing. E.g.
> on the immensely popular iPhone, every application is a mix of Objective
> C/C++, compiled to machine code. While many iPhone applications are
> relatively dumb and usually communicate with webservers, this shows that
> native applications are preferred by segment of the market over
> applications that live in the browser.

Of course the major issues limiting Web 2.0 adoption are unreliable, high
latency, expensive communication channels. Another is that the
technologies have not matured on non-x86/windows platforms. I bought a
new cell phone recently and can't really play any videos with it even
though it definitely has enough cpu power to play even 576p mpeg streams.

Btw, you can write iPhone apps in .NET languages. Just use Unity.

> And server-side, there's also a lot of static language development going
> on. Often dynamic languages don't scale, and you'll see dynamic
> languages with performance-intensive parts written in C or C++, or
> static languages such as Java.

Sure. It's just that not everyone uses them.