Itcy-BitC closures and curries

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Sat Nov 21 05:41:17 PST 2009

Having noticed that the BitC PL http://www.bitc-lang.org/ has been
mentioned in passing before on this forum, I wonder if any of the D
community have any comment on the following aspect of the design of
BitC, particularly as may be relevant to D and GC.

1.1 About the Language

http://www.bitc-lang.org/docs/bitc/spec.html

"In contrast to ML, BitC syntax is designed to discourage currying.
Currying encourages the formation of closures that capture non-global
state. This requires dynamic storage allocation to instantiate these
closures at runtime. Since there are applications of BitC in which
dynamic allocation is prohibited, currying is an inappropriate idiom for
this language."

I don't have any particular agenda in asking this question but feel that
some interesting discussion might result out of.

There's also a design note for Closure Implementation in BitC by Dr.
Jonathan Shapiro, 2005, though I'm unsure if this is currently
implemented in BitC or if the article now out of date.

http://www.bitc-lang.org/docs/bitc/closures.html

Cheers to all,

Justin Johansson