Itcy-BitC closures and curries

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 06:15:12 PST 2009

On 21/11/2009 15:41, Justin Johansson wrote:
> Having noticed that the BitC PL http://www.bitc-lang.org/ has been
> mentioned in passing before on this forum, I wonder if any of the D
> community have any comment on the following aspect of the design of
> BitC, particularly as may be relevant to D and GC.
>
> 1.1 About the Language
>
> http://www.bitc-lang.org/docs/bitc/spec.html
>
> "In contrast to ML, BitC syntax is designed to discourage currying.
> Currying encourages the formation of closures that capture non-global
> state. This requires dynamic storage allocation to instantiate these
> closures at runtime. Since there are applications of BitC in which
> dynamic allocation is prohibited, currying is an inappropriate idiom for
> this language."
>
> I don't have any particular agenda in asking this question but feel that
> some interesting discussion might result out of.
>
> There's also a design note for Closure Implementation in BitC by Dr.
> Jonathan Shapiro, 2005, though I'm unsure if this is currently
> implemented in BitC or if the article now out of date.
>
> http://www.bitc-lang.org/docs/bitc/closures.html
>
> Cheers to all,
>
> Justin Johansson

Dr. Jonathan Shapiro works on modern u-kernels and his latest project is
the coyotos project which is a capability based design (a very neat
design if I may add). BitC was mainly created to facilitate writing that
kernel and prove its correctness and thus it makes perfect sense that it
was designed that way. Does BitC even has a GC? I thought it was
compiled to C.