D array expansion and non-deterministic re-allocation

Bartosz Milewski bartosz-nospam at relisoft.com
Sat Nov 21 17:02:13 PST 2009

dsimcha Wrote:

> Furthermore, the purpose of language design is to create a usable language first
> and foremost, and then figure out how to specify it formally and abstractly, not
> to create a perfectly bulletproof specification first and foremost and then hope
> that results in a usable language.  Again, not saying I particularly like the MRU
> cache idea (it has its issues at an implementation level) but I think that
> "perfectly specified" has to take a back seat to "works well in practice".

This might be true at the experimental phase of language design. But I expect more from TDPL, if it's going to be the official definition of the language for the foreseeable future. I'm not expecting it to be as scrupulous as the C++ Standard, but a bit more solid than, "If in doubt, look how it's implemented in DMD--MRU cache and all."