Conspiracy Theory #1

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Sun Nov 22 11:37:10 PST 2009

> For most applications/libraries, forking means death.  But look at the
> cases of bind (DNS), sendmail (smtp), and even Apache (and it's NCSA
> roots).  These implementations of their respective protocols are still
> the 'standard' and 'reference' implementations, they still have a huge
> installation, and are still see active development.

These are 'reference' implementations largely because no one follows the RFCs (something I was very frustrated to discover recently).  I sincerely hope that other D compilers follow the spec rather than some potentially divergent implementation.

> However, their alternatives in many cases offer better support, features
> and/or speed (not to mention security, especially in the case of bind
> and sendmail).

I'd personally rather have a unified user base than having to re-code things based on which compiler I targeted.  I really don't care if one compiler can do some nifty thing the others can't.  That web programmers need different code for each browser is utterly ridiculous.  If D went that route I'd be back to C++ in a heartbeat.