Short list with things to finish for D2

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 23 03:31:08 PST 2009

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:54:04 -0500, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The hook doesn't sound like a bad idea, but it raises a lot of issues
> with the
> implementation details.  These are things I could figure out given
> plenty of time.
>  I'd like weak refs, too.  However, I don't think this makes the short
> list for D2
> because:
>
> 1.  Doing it at all properly requires a lot of thought about what a good
> design
> for such an API should be and how to implement it efficiently.

To have a hook or not to have a hook is not as important as fixing the
bug.  If we do it first without a public hook, that is fine, then we can
refine it later.

> 2.  I think we still need an ArrayBuilder or something because, while
> the MRU
> would be reasonably efficient, it still wouldn't be as efficient as an
> ArrayBuilder, and would do nothing to solve the uniqueness problem.
> Therefore, I
> think fleshing out ArrayBuilder is a higher priority.

Let's fix the bug first, then we can worry about efficiency.  The fact
that you can stomp on immutable memory in safeD is no good for D2.

-Steve