removal of cruft from D

Don nospam at nospam.com
Mon Nov 23 11:13:11 PST 2009

bearophile wrote:
> Don:
>> There seems to be no point in having a *single* integer value, shared
>> between the app and all libraries! It's just reducing future flexibility.
>
> It doesn't reduce flexibility at all,

I meant future D flexibility.

because if you need something more complex you don't use it and nothing
bad happens. You can even ignore it.
> You are thinking about 10000+ lines long apps; about scaling up.

No, I'm not, actually. I've actually never worked on a large project.
I'm not a computer scientist.

  I am thinking about single-module 500-lines long programs that replace
some scripts; about scaling down too.
> A compilation constant avoids me to modify the source every time I need to change the size of some static array/matrix. With that I just need a second Python script that calls dmd/ldc with a different argument, instead of a little more complex Python script that changes the source code of the D program, to modify the constant.

> A very modern language like Fortress, designed for physics, has that small feature :-) (It's available in C too, only integer/symbol constants).

Yes, but it has MORE THAN ONE.
Some specifics -- it'd be nice to have a Windows version specified as an
integer. It'd be nice to have a DirectX version number. Can't do it.

version(int) is like a programming language with one variable. It's
ridiculous.