Switch-case made less buggy, now with PATCH!

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 11:51:25 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Leandro Lucarella <llucax at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just saying
> that the patch was mostly turned down because he didn't asked for other
> devs permission to make the patch, not because of the quality of the patch
> (or the feature) itself. That discourages people to make patches, and
> I think that's *really* bad.

Don may have said that not discussing a change before submitting a
patch for it dooms the patch to failure, but I don't think that's true
at all.  I think it just means that the chances the patch will solve
the problem in a way that is agreeable to those who matter is much
smaller.  But if Chad had managed to hit on the magic formula that
everyone thought was a great solution, I think the patch would have
been accepted (after some inevitable discussion).

In this case, had Chad discussed the matter first, I think he would
have quickly found that there was little support for his syntax
extension, and he could have saved himself the trouble of implementing
it.

--bb