thank's ddmd !

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 12:12:31 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Travis Boucher
<boucher.travis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Denis Koroskin wrote:
>>
>> Travis Boucher has shown his interest in contribution, but he currently
>> has issues with D2 not working on FreeBSD. To quote him:
>>
>>> I have dmd working, and druntime (which was a quick hack to make work,
>>> but should work well enough).  The problems I am having at the moment is
>>> with phobos,  mostly because I don't fully understand how phobos interacts
>>> with druntime (certain things seem to be duplicated between druntime and
>>> phobos).
>>
>>> Once I figure out how all that works (which I'll want to do anyway for
>>> ddmd), I should have a working port of D2 for FreeBSD.
>>
>> You can join the project, too, developing is not hard at all. No special
>> knowledge is required since porting code is pretty much a straightforward
>> process. Everyone who is interested is welcome. Contact me if you need help
>> to get yourself started.
>
> I have pretty much given up on D2 until it is finalized, and development
> focus changes from specifications to library & compiler implementation and
> enhancements.  I think this will be the best time (for me) to get involved
> in the process.
>
> Unfortunately for me (and possibly others) I got into D at a really shitty
> time.  The language itself is in a state of flux (at least for D2).  So I am
> changing my own focus on application development with D1, which I am sure
> will be around for quite a while before D2 gets community acceptance.

Having been around here for a few years, I have to say you don't know
what you're talking about.  Things are actually looking better for D
than they have for years.  You may find that revelation more scary
than inspiring but here's why I say so: End of D2 work is in sight.
The reference compiler can be re-built by anyone from source now.  D
sits atop a runtime which can be used by any library that wants to
participate.  Both Walter and now Don are bug-fixin' machines.  QtD is
usable (from what I understand).   All good stuff.

So yeh, if you get started writing an app in D2 now you may have to
make some changes, but if you're only starting now, then you won't
have much source code that needs changing to keep up.  TDPL is due out
first half of next year, and there shouldn't be too many major changes
to D2 after that.  Furthermore, if you start writing serious D2 code
now, your input will have considerably more weight than someone who's
only looking at it on paper.

But if you're really under tight deadline pressure or something, then
probably D1 (or Python, or C#) would be a better choice.

--bb