Switch-case made less buggy, now with PATCH!

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 05:27:04 PST 2009

Don Wrote:

> Bill Baxter wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Leandro Lucarella <llucax at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'm just saying
> >> that the patch was mostly turned down because he didn't asked for other
> >> devs permission to make the patch, not because of the quality of the patch
> >> (or the feature) itself. That discourages people to make patches, and
> >> I think that's *really* bad.
> >
> > Don may have said that not discussing a change before submitting a
> > patch for it dooms the patch to failure, but I don't think that's true
> > at all.  I think it just means that the chances the patch will solve
> > the problem in a way that is agreeable to those who matter is much
> > smaller.  But if Chad had managed to hit on the magic formula that
> > everyone thought was a great solution, I think the patch would have
> > been accepted (after some inevitable discussion).
>
> I'm making an observation. AFAIK such patches have never been accepted.
>
> > In this case, had Chad discussed the matter first, I think he would
> > have quickly found that there was little support for his syntax
> > extension, and he could have saved himself the trouble of implementing
> > it.
>
> Yes. It's such a shame, when there are so many bugs open in Bugzilla,
> that someone spends time on a patch which you can say apriori that it
> will fail.

What's also a shame is that I've tried to solicit from Walter which changes he'd be open to. It was an attempt at getting a varied list so that inspired individuals could pick an item and run with it.  For the most part, I failed. Walter did suggest two gdb compatibility issues. Andrei's response about Phobos was better, but still seemed lacking to me :(

I've largely given up on trying to make things friendlier to community involvement.