Making alloca more safe

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Nov 24 23:31:53 PST 2009

BCS wrote:
> Hello Walter,
>
>> BCS wrote:
>>
>>> Yes the ignition (as the the key) doesn't turn off but when the
>>> engine quits running the ignition system (as in the magneto or that
>>> block of epoxy and silicon under the hood) quits triggering the
>>> spark. Tie into that.
>>>
>> Trying to determine if the distributor is no longer turning is a
>> non-trivial circuit. Best to stick with simple things when dealing
>> with safety issues. The inertial switch is pretty darned simple, it's
>> just a ball stuck on the end of a magnet. Knock it hard, it falls off
>> the magnet, opening the circuit.
>>

> If you can find the right spot to tie into all you need is an event
> failure alarm
>
> http://www.elektropage.com/default.asp?page=sub&bid=1&sid=18

No, I'm not going with complex electronics for a fail-safe circuit. A
simple fail-open pressure switch is pretty bullet proof.

(Integrated circuits can often have problems in a car - heat, vibration,
and spiky power supplies. Using off-the-shelf electronics under the hood
can be a problem because of that, you need more robust parts.)

That circuit also has 3 mechanical moving parts, a transistor, a 555 IC,
capacitors, numerous connections, any of which can fail. A pressure
switch is much simpler.