Non-enum manifest constants: Pie in the sky?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Wed Nov 25 08:10:07 PST 2009

Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:29:10 -0500, bearophile wrote:

> Nick Sabalausky:
>
>> then attempting to evaluate
>> blahExpression at compile-time (which I believe it already does) and if
>> it succeeds, then treat it as a manifest constant in any place where
>> it's used (except for the places where it's pointer or reference is
>> taken).
>
> I think this is not so easy to do.

Why can't we just focus on getting D 2.0 done now. The D community seems
to mainly consist of people don't care about getting any work done or
having a stable compiler unless it's faster than lightning.

> Manifest constants can even
> be deprecated in future, once a default implementation of D2 uses a
> better back-end like LLVM.

Digitalmars won't have a commercial D SDK product if they switch the
backend. I don't think Walter wants to switch to another toolchain.
Imagine, someone will gladly pay for fixing the dreaded optlink, but
frankly no one will pay for updates to e.g. llvm or gnu gcc toolchain.
Even though the quality of gnu toolchain is superior.