new version

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 30 09:45:00 PST 2009

== Quote from BCS (none at anon.com)'s article
> Hello l8night,
> > Too many bugs - no way my superiors allow some program with that bug
> > list and the open date for version 2. worst is the slow bugfixes.
> >
> Check me on this but there may be more know bugs in things like FireFox then
> in DMD. The length of the bug list in and of its self say almost nothing
> about a program. (OTOH it makes a handy metric for people who don't know
> that.)
> To answer your original question; look at the change log to get an idea about
> how fast versions come out. "Within a month or so" would be a good guess
> for minor versions. If your talking about V3, expect a few years.

What's really important is how many *severe* bugs there are, i.e. bugs that really
have a major effect on the usability of the language.  There are a few features,
such as array ops and alias this, where DMD is buggy enough that these features
are practically useless.  On the other hand, I don't get too mad about this
because these are features that most other languages just plain don't have, and
the situation is continually and rapidly improving (thanks to Walter and Don).
Even if the *total* bug count is going up, IMHO the *severe* bug count is going down.