What does Coverity/clang static analysis actually do?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Oct 2 01:52:01 PDT 2009

BCS wrote:
> For open source and libs, yes. For proprietary code bases, I'd say it's
> about a wash. Having it in another file could make the language/code
> base easier to read and also allow a much more powerful rules language
> (because it doesn't have to fit in the host language). And because only
> you will be maintaining the code, needing another tool (that you already
> have) and another build step isn't much of an issue.

Of course you can make third party tools work, but I think there is a
lot of merit and psychological advantage to building it into the base
language. For example, unit testing and document creation are usually
3rd party tools, but with D they are built in, and I think them being
built in has been a huge success.