null references redux + Looney Tunes

language_fan foo at bar.com.invalid
Fri Oct 2 10:23:22 PDT 2009

Fri, 02 Oct 2009 10:30:24 -0400, Jarrett Billingsley thusly wrote:

> I always think it's funny when people are like "so, I had this idea,
> lemme throw this out there. I know it sounds weird, but just bear with
> me - what if there were _no null_? Did I just _blow your mind?_"
>
> And the perspective of languages with **better type systems**, it's
like..

*plonk* :-P (old-timers might know)

> The whole null/nonnull debate is a complete nonissue in languages like
> Haskell because _they actually treat it formally and correctly_. And
> they've _been_ doing this for years. For all the Java-ites to be like
> "OMG PARADIGM SHIFT" it's just funny.

You know, mainstream is pretty much religion driven.. many might have
already plonked you automatically because your postings have contained
the words 'disagree', 'progress', 'haskell', or 'scala'. The performance
focused people from the c++ land seem to have a strong conservative view
towards new things - like it or not. Walter being mostly a C++ guy and
not having written much code in any other language (including D!) only
makes the situation a bit worse, if you prefer progress.