Arrays template arguments and CT data structures

BCS none at anon.com
Sat Oct 3 12:36:17 PDT 2009

Hello language_fan,

> You have probably already noticed that there is always a tradeoff to
> be made. Either you get smaller binaries and faster compilation times
> or larger binaries and (perhaps) more efficient runtime performance.
> Note that if the data structures are small, generating them takes very
> little time on modern 32/64-bit hardware. OTOH if you have tens of
> megabytes of binary data in your .exe, hard drives are a serious
> bottleneck.

If the data is setup correctly (e.i. not mixed in with other stuff) then
the only the data that is called for will be paged in. I'm having a hard
time thinking of a situation where this would be less than ideal.

The only case I can think of is where the data can be compressed a lot and
you page in compressed structures and then expand as needed into memory.
Most simple systems would read in the same data in a (probably bulkier format)
but do it all before the first access.