null references redux + Looney Tunes

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Oct 4 13:48:25 PDT 2009

"Justin Johansson" <no at spam.com> wrote in message
news:haavf1$2gs7$1 at digitalmars.com...

> It's a difficult challenge to get high performance, readable and
> maintainable code out of complex number
> intensive algorithms.   Use of library types for complex numbers has, in
> my experience been problematic.
> Complex numbers should be first class value types I say.

There's been discussion before (I can't find it now, or remember the name
for it) of type systems that allow for proper handling of things like m/s
vs. m/(s*s) vs inch/min etc. I haven't actually worked with such a feature
or with complex/imaginary numbers in any actual code, so I can't be sure,
but I've been wondering if a type system like that would be an appropriate
(or even ideal) way to handle real/complex/imaginary numbers. (I've also
been wondering if it might be a huge benefit for distinguishing between
strings that represent a filename vs file content vs file-extention-only vs
relative-path+filename, vs absolute-path-only, etc. I've been really wanting
a better way to handle that than just a variable naming convention.)