D marketplace

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Oct 7 15:51:52 PDT 2009

Stanley Steel wrote:
> Walter Bright Wrote:
>> I've been interested in a long time in writing a D cgi application
>> that runs on the server and enables a reddit-like view of the n.g.
>> postings, as well as the usual n.g. nntp interface.
>>
>> The current archiving stuff
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/announce/index.html
>>  is a step in that direction, but it is not interactive and doesn't
>> allow posting.
>>
>> People would have two possible ways to interact with the n.g. -
>> through the standard NNTP interface using a normal newsreader, or
>> the reddit-style interactive web view. The latter would also allow
>> logged in users to vote + or -, have avatars, etc.
>
> Just out of curiosity, do you or could you have a database running or
> would you want to use flat files for data storage?

I see the 'database' as the NNTP message files, unmodified, so the NNTP
news server runs unmodified and unmolested. The cgi app should create an
additional database with the votes & avatars, etc., that is separate.
The cgi app should 'post' to NNTP any new messages, and monitor the NNTP
message files for new ones.