CTFE vs. traditional metaprogramming

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Oct 9 13:25:20 PDT 2009

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:hao44m$2g5e$1 at digitalmars.com...

> It is quite possible that templates get relegated to parameterized
> functions and types, whereas all heavy lifting in metaprogramming should
> be carried with CTFE.

I've been told that the reason C#'s generics are done in the limited way
that they are is that it allows them to cross DLL boundaries (or...it was
something along those lines, I forget exactly what.) If what you describe
about D's templates does occur, then maybe we would be able to give them the
same extra ability that C#'s generics have?