Phobos.testing

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Oct 10 20:06:30 PDT 2009

Michel Fortin wrote:
> On 2009-10-10 19:01:35 -0400, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> said:
>
>> Overall, the point is that there should be a well-defined process for
>> getting
>> code into Phobos and a well-defined place to post this code and
>> comment on it.
>>  Bugzilla probably doesn't cut it because it's not easy to download,
>> compile
>> and test lots of different snippets of code from here.
>
> There should indeed be a process for proposing new modules or major
> features. I don't care much what it is, but it should make code
> available for review from all the interested parties, and allow public
> discussion about this code. Whether this discussion should happen on
> this newsgroup or elsewhere, I'm not sure however.
>
> And it'd be nice if it could auto-generate documentation from the
> proposed modules: glancing at the documentation often gives you a
> different perspective on the API, and it'd encourage people to write
> good documentation.

I'm all for accepting additions to Phobos, and for putting in place a
process to do so. I suggest we follow a procedure used to great effect
by Boost. They have a formal process in place that consists of a
preliminary submission, a refinement period, a submission, a review, and
a vote.

http://www.boost.org/development/submissions.html

I compel you all to seriously consider it, and am willing to provide
website space and access.

Andrei