dmd support for IDEs

language_fan foo at bar.com.invalid
Mon Oct 12 02:05:19 PDT 2009

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:44:08 -0400, Jeremie Pelletier thusly wrote:

> language_fan wrote:
>> Well since there is already a project working on an Eclipse plugin, I
>> see little use for other IDEs at the moment. The D community is rather
>> small and only a small amount of people are capable of developing and
>> willing to donate their free time on free IDE development (commercial
>> IDEs have small potential now that
>> Netbeans/Eclipse/IntelliJ/KDevelop/Visual Studio dominate the market).
>> So why not concentrate on fixing the spec and fixing compiler bugs
>> instead of building a modest IDE support no one will use?
>
> Eclipse is heavy, slow and often unresponsive. I use poseidon myself
> because it is light and fast and I don't require much more from an IDE
> at the moment.

If you turn off all the advanced features of Eclipse (spell checking,
interactive parsing & type checking etc), it will become a lot more
responsive. You can even uninstall many of the plugins if you really do
not need them. I recommend firing up the latest development build with
the latest 1.6 jvm. It will take couple of seconds for the JIT to spot
the hot spots after starting up. Of course Poseidon is faster *now* that
it lacks all the advanced features, but once you start adding more, it
will eventually grind to a halt.