dmd support for IDEs

language_fan foo at bar.com.invalid
Mon Oct 12 03:15:01 PDT 2009

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:07:44 -0300, Leandro Lucarella thusly wrote:

> Walter Bright, el 10 de octubre a las 18:19 me escribiste:
>> In my discussions with companies about adopting D, the major barrier
>> that comes up over and over isn't Tango vs Phobos, dmd being GPL,
>> debugger support, libraries, bugs, etc., although those are important.
>>
>> It's the IDE.
>>
>> They say that the productivity gains of D's improvements are
>> overbalanced by the loss of productivity by moving away from an IDE.
>> And what is it about an IDE that is so productive? Intellisense
>> (Microsoft's word for autocompletion).
>
> I think you've got that answer because they are not using D alread. When
> they start using D, they will start complaining about Phobos vs. Tango,
> debugger support, librararies, bugs, etc. ;) (maybe not DMD being GPL
> though, even when I think it's important).

What can I say, the larger the enterprise, the larger the expectations
and need for stability. You can try it yourself, any Java 1.4 code from
2003 can be compiled, debugged, profiled etc. nicely with the most recent
version of jdk and 3rd party tools. It's also nicely compatible with new
code. OTOH take some D 1.0 code from 2003 (e.g. the free dool/dui or aba
games code available online) and try to do *something* with it. Basically
nothing works. You even have problems with new code as some project
depends on a specific svn version of tango trunk. There is a lot to be
done before D is ready for large scale enterprise use.