Array literals' default type

Don nospam at nospam.com
Mon Oct 12 06:43:13 PDT 2009

language_fan wrote:
> Sat, 10 Oct 2009 17:15:55 +0200, Yigal Chripun thusly wrote:
>
>> Now, wouldn't it be wonderful if D had provided real tuple support
>> without all the Tuple!() nonsense?
>
> 'D has full built-in tuple support' has been the answer each time I've
> asked. It seems not to be advisable to ask more about this specific
> feature since the language creators easily get annoyed when asked about
> this. They see more value in reserving the syntax for the C style
> sequencing operator which is rarely used. Also they have apparently
> scientifically proven that the auto-flattening semantics of tuples
> somehow works better than real product types, and have no intention to
> make it an explicit controllable operation, which is also easily
> implementable.

Not so, Andrei has said that he thinks auto-flattening was a bad idea.
And AFAIK, Walter doesn't disagree.

Andrei and I, and almost everyone else, have tried to persuade Walter to
remove the comma operator, but without success. But I doubt you'd be
able to use it for tuples, because   x, y = foo(); already has meaning
in C and tuples would give it a different meaning. I'd LOVE to be proved
wrong.

It is very difficult to change Walter's mind about many things, but
despite what people say, it is not impossible.