Goodbye

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Oct 12 14:27:26 PDT 2009

"Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:hb04m4$2a9l$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "Nick B" <nickB at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:hb03jf$24de$2 at digitalmars.com...
>> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>>> "Jarrett Billingsley" <jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:mailman.175.1255377931.20261.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>>>
>>> Just to clarify, yes, I will still maintain my current projects. But as
>>> far as D and its development goes, I am well and truly finished. You do
>>> your thing, Andrei. Have fun.
>> For the record, and before you go off into the sunset, what exactly, are
>> you objecting to ?
>
> Hm, could it be years of constant, repeated disappointment with the
> leadership? The utter lack of community input on many important features?
> The antiquated, closed development model? Or maybe just the shitty
> toolchain, shitty rift between "standard" libraries, and shitty
> third-party libraries?

Anyone here shold be well aware there's been nothing but improvement on
those fronts. And TDPL is a major key in further improvement.

> But what's really been chafing my ass for the past year or so has been
> Andrei and his astronomical ego. This is the post that broke *this*
> camel's back:
> http://digg.com/d3170vV

You're really overreacting to that. TDPL is *extemely* important to D as a
whole, not just to Andrei. And, no Walter-bashing intended, but the focus on
random things like a machine-readable ddoc that provides a minimal benefit
in lieu of a little bit more on the book was certainly worthy of a "Now wait
just a minute here" message.

> You might also be interested in these self-written bios by a man who might
> as well describe himself as the goddamn savior of modern programming
> practice.
> http://pastie.org/652008
> http://pastie.org/private/iyj51x5gjjr3qp6ipatta

Bios usually are self-written (how would the publisher know the author's
strengths better and be able to write about it better than the author
themself?), and the whole point of them is to make the person look good to
help sell a book (or whatever else). They're mini-resume's: the whole point
is for it to be a sales-sheet, so yea, of course it's going too look like
that. What do you expect? "Author Andrei is a mediocre programmer we picked
up off some random street in Boise."

Besides, if there are any programmers who have good reason to have an big
ego (Which I certainly haven't seen in Andrei), then Andrei would certainly
be one of them. And that's praise Andrei *didn't* write himself ;)

> I can't, in good conscience, support a language that has someone like this
> at the wheel. Sorry.

Speaking of drama queens... ;)