dmd support for IDEs

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 14:50:15 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
> "Ary Borenszweig" <ary at esperanto.org.ar> wrote in message
> news:havvl7$1tlv$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>> Yeah, we made a game in WPF in the company I work for, using bindings
>> (*the* feature of WPF): it was sluggish. From the start I recommended
>> doing it in a lower-level language (I recommended D!) but no one listened
>> to me. It runs pretty slow with an amazing computer. I don't like WPF (nor
>> Siliveright). :-P
>
> Is that related to, or the same as, the win forms library from .NET? Because
> I've found that to be horribly broken for anyone that uses a light-on-dark
> color scheme. Certain limitations of it make it impossible to prevent
> certain things from exhibiting invisible-text-syndrome on such a setup,
> which inevitably results in an app that's just horribly unprofessional.

WinForms is a managed code wrapper around native win32 widgets.  Kinda
like MFC redone for C#.
WPF doesn't wrap native widgets and uses XML for everything.   But
both are for the CLR.  So if you want to use them with C++ it has to
be managed C++ (aka C++/CLI).  My understanding is that WPF is
supposed to supersede WinForms, but it seems to me like they appeal to
different audiences.  (Like people who want professional
native-looking apps, vs the people who think the Windows Media Player
has a nice  interface).

--bb