dmd support for IDEs

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Oct 12 15:25:33 PDT 2009

"Lars T. Kyllingstad" <public at kyllingen.NOSPAMnet> wrote in message
news:hb05lr$2bv5$2 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>
>> Never touched FF3.5, I tried FF3 and it was such a worthless POS I went
>> back to FF2, which is still a total POS, or course, but at least this way
>> I have separate back/forward dropdowns, winestripe actually works, and I
>> have no awfulbar *without* needing an anti-awfulbar addon (mozilla's
>> standard strategy: force idiotic ill-conceived changes on everyone and
>> rely on third-party add-on hacks for anyone who wants it fixed).
>

> Um, so why are you still using FF at all? :)

Very good question actually. In short: As badly as FF sucks, everything else
sucks even more.

The main reason: For me, the web would be completely unusable without
AdBlock Plus, NoScript and BetterPrivacy (For the record, I don't have a
problem with ads on web pages, as long as they're 100% static, zero
animation, zero sound, zero DHTML, zero of those
ads-that-look-like-links-embedded-into-the-actual-text-content, and don't
take up half the page.) Repagination, Linkification, DownloadHelper,
DownThemAll, BugMeNot and TabMix Plus are...not strictly essential...but
still things I'd rather not have to go without. This stuff rules out IE
(very limited in customization and available add-ons), Opera (the alleged
add-on system is a pathetic joke), and Safari (Customization in an Apple
app? Ah ha ha ha ha ha!).

Plus there's a *lot* of other details on how I like to have things set up
that nothing but FF allows me to do (even though it often requires an addon,
such as TabMix Plus). This rules out all the ones aboves, plus Chrome. So
for all practical purposes, that only leaves FF.

Secondary reason: I *HATE* apps that force a skin down my throat, even more
than I hate GTK apps (at least GTK makes a small token effort to look
vaguely like my system is supposed to look). This provides further strikes
against Chrome and Safari.

Chrome also forces an extra always-resident process onto my system whether I
want it or not. (I don't. And I don't give a crap what feature it may
provide.)

And Safari, of course, has even more strikes against it, but Safari's such a
joke anyway its not even worth mentioning any further.