dmd support for IDEs

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Oct 12 18:05:06 PDT 2009

Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:20:01AM +0200, Yigal Chripun wrote:
>> regarding working on a remote machine:
>> you can mount a remote file system through ssh and work localy on that
>> remoted filesystem.
>
> Eh, sshfs leaves a lot to be desired. There is a noticeable lag when
> performing basic operations on it - it really kills the flow when doing
> a rapid edit/compile loop.
>
> It sounds cool on paper, but in practice is rather disappointing.

I've had positive results with sshfs. Sure, it could probably stand a
lot of improvements, but overall my experience has been good.

The Phobos remote build on the machine you donated access to (thanks!)
uses sshfs.

One cool thing is combining sshfs with autofs. That way the connection
is automatically made when you first open a dir. For example, if I write:

ls /ssh/erdani.com/

an sshfs session is automatically opened to erdani.com.

What are the issues that you encountered? My problems invariably involve
suspending the laptop to RAM or changing wireless connections, to then
find sshfs blocked. I need to "killall ssh" and then whenever I resume
reestablish connection(s). This is a considerable, but not major,
annoyance.

Andrei