dmd support for IDEs + network GUI

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Oct 12 18:06:38 PDT 2009

"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.179.1255391198.20261.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> My DWS project aims to work up on a widget level. [big snip]

Excellent! Sounds exactly like what I had in mind. I'll definately want to
keep an eye on this. Any webpage or svn or anything yet?

Couple questions:

Have you given any thought to security? The stuff about local file/etc
access sounds great, but it also makes me think a little of Adobe's FLEX
(but with a much more professional appearance and sensible language) which
is notorious for, first, opening the door for no-install cross-platform
malware and then not caring one whit about the fact that they've done so
(sort of like how they don't care about the evils of flash super-cookies,
but I digress...).

How do you have the client-side working from the perspective of a new user?
Ie, Do they still need to install each app (or at least each app's client)
individually, or is it just a one-time install of the DWS library? If the
latter, how do they find/launch a remote program? I ask because one of the
things that web-app fans like about web-apps is that they're "no-install",
at least beyond the installation of the platform (ie, browser) itself. But
I've always felt there's no technical reason why it shouldn't be possible to
have a link to, for instance,
"dws://www.somedomain.com/apps/someGUIApp?cmdlineparams" and have that
launch the client's remote-GUI toolkit on that "someGUIApp".