dmd development model.

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 19:08:54 PDT 2009

Walter Bright, el 12 de octubre a las 14:56 me escribiste:
> Moritz Warning wrote:
> >I think the people in question are too busy with life atm.
> >but I've also heard that there might not be enough time for review.
>
> That's fine, but I've also emailed them that if they needed more
> time to let me know, and those generated no response either.
>
> If people want to be on the beta list, email me and let me know.

I was about to ask the same thing via a private mail, but since there is
already a public discussion, here is what I think =)

I know it could be a little hard for you to change the way you work and
start making small self-contained commits, but since there are a lot of
bug fixes with patches in bugzilla now (thanks for releasing the code BTW,
which made this possible :), at least for those patches, is very easy to
do a single commit for each one.

And I agree, making DMD releases more organized could improve a *lot* this
situation. All you have to do is schedule the release, you can have
a period of time where you fold in new changes / bug fixes, then declare
a "feature freeze" ("bug fix folding freeze" for DMD 1) and make a release
candidate. You can give, I don't know, about a week, for testing the RC
and if there are no regressions or complains, you do the actual release
(or fix the regressions before releasing if there is any).

The RC can be just a tag in the VCS (I think it would be nicer to have an
easily distributable package though, Robert even offered himself to do
nightly builds automatically for you, so that shouldn't be a problem if
the offer is still open).

I think you are making huge improvements in moving DMD to a more open
development model (which I think it's crucial for widespread adoption of
D). If you can do smaller commits, improve the release scheduling and do
RCs, it would be a new huge step in that direction.

Thanks.

--
Leandro Lucarella (AKA luca)                      http://llucax.com.ar/