Revamped concurrency API

Jeremie Pelletier jeremiep at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 22:59:57 PDT 2009

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Jeremie Pelletier, el 12 de octubre a las 22:45 me escribiste:
>>> I agree. Particularly about lent. Immutable and mutable weren't
>>> considered complete without const, so I'm surprised that local and
>>> shared are considered complete without lent. You can even
>>> implement it without escape analysis. Strangely, from what I
>>> remember of Bartosz's posts, it was unique that was the sticking
>>> point, though you can implement both unique and owned as library
>>> types (though they do become less efficient).
>> I may sound ignorant, but that does lent means? I mean the word
>> itself, I couldn't find something relevant on google.
>
> The terms "unique", "shared" and "lent" used here generaly refers to
> the terms used by Bartoz Milewski in his blog[1].
>
> I think he defines lent in this particular blog post[2], but maybe you
> might need to read a couple of posts more to understand everything.
>
> [1] http://bartoszmilewski.wordpress.com/
> [2] http://bartoszmilewski.wordpress.com/2009/05/21/unique_ptr-how-unique-is-it/

I know of this article, he mentions the word but he doesn't say where it
comes from.

My native language is french (I'm from Quebec, Canada), I don't know
every word of the english dictionary. That's why I asked, I'm just
curious as to what it meant.

I did some googling but I only landed on a religious page :/

I assume it means 'temporary shared' just like const is 'temporary
immutable', but if i can make a link with the english language too its
even better.